03 February 2008

mercurial blessings


'kind stranger' d sinclair 2008 all rights reserved

"Necessity knows no magic formulae- they are all left to chance. If love is to be unforgettable, fortuities must immediately start fluttering down to it like birds to Francis of Assisi's shoulder." (Milan Kundera)

There are times when Mercury's tricks can bring confirmation that all of life is - in fact - entirely miraculous.

Yesterday my car battery died without warning just as I needed to leave the car wash bay with a queue of vehicles waiting behind me, a baby in the back seat and sweltering heat outside.

My immediate thought - right after the shock of yet another 'power failure' - was to call my self-proclaimed Lone Ranger (aka the Rigger) for help - followed by the thought that he was more likely to ride off into the sunset than come to the rescue.

I sat doing breathing exercises and calming myself and within moments a kind gentleman appeared and asked if he could help. An hour later the problem was entirely rectified, my car fitted with a new battery. Better than ever. (the Lone Ranger even showed up in his Silver V6, paying for everything, shaking hands, playing with the baby before taking the sunset route)

Mercury - Hermes - is a son of Zeus. Fortune, as Zeus would bestow, is the father of chance, opportunity and luck and are an integral part of the myth - but we are too eager to problematise, to see theft and tricks and deceptions where there are openings and blessings.

The einfalle generousity of a stranger - if one can relate to the presence of such grace as 'strange' - and the unexpected reversal of a usually elusive character - are affirmations of a benevolent mercurial force in the world.

And, the event served to remind me that 'owning my stuff' and taking responsibility for the choices
made - stuff ups - that have brought me to this place is a fine thing - and that ownership includes the good stuff too.

3 comments:

  1. You continue to inspire me to look at the beauty and wonder in the world - as you'll see when you read my editorial I was just writing about miracles ... mainly opening the space for miracles to happen?

    I am immensely grateful for the great gift of both your friendship and insight. Reminds me to get back blogging too after a little break - I'm going to do my reading deprivation next week - as there is too much to get done this week to clear the way for an amazing and enlightening new year.

    Have to share this power story with you - because its a ripper on for Merc Retro. Apparently the substation at Dave's work caught on fire over the weekend so no power to the building. He arrives at work this morning to discover a dirty great generator out the front powering the building. Around 2:30 there is an announcement for them to evacuate the building an Dave jokes that someone forgot the fuel the generator.

    Sure enough - as he's walking down the road to the bus, happy with his early mark, a tanker pulls up to fill up the generator.

    I wonder what that all is saying about the workplace. Alcan were bought out by Rio Tinto last year and now BHP is trying to buy Rio, but Alcoa and a Chinese aluminium company just bought up 12% of Rio's shares to thwart BHP - blah blah blah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, yeah that is quite an event. Glad no one was hurt with all that explosivity and mucking around with fuel.

    yes, opening spaces for miracles.. i go out into the garden and pull up weeds telling myself that I'm clearing the way for miracles. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago I had a stranger help me when the timing gear sort of clunked out in my car at a toll booth. His name was Elvis and he drove a big black V6 falcon I think...

    In the turning lemons into lemonade aspect of life, it truly lightened the moment to not only have someone be so kind, but the Elvis factor just spun it so beautifully. As this was years ago no idea where planets were at the time...however have had my own brush with Merc Retro as my computer decided to pack it in last Friday. I spent Friday morning clearing stuff from my office (still), and started sweeping...and stirred up enough dust to be the last straw for the computer...
    operationally speaking.
    So I've spent about 5 days without the computer while it's been in the shop. This gave me a chance to see how much it does makes things easier, and yet I can still operate quite well without it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read my blog - please feel free to comment or ask questions and I'll do my best to respond.