25 May 2008

bibliomancy for venus in gemini

'she was such a dear old duck' d sinclair '08


"Not until the moon was high did the alchemist ride into view. He carried two dead hawks over his shoulder.

"I am here," the boy said.

"You shouldn't be here," the alchemist answered. "Or is it your Personal Legend that brings you here?"

"With the wars between the tribes, it's impossible to cross the desert. So I have come here."

(Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist)

Thanks to you all for your patience during my absence from blogging. It's been a challenging couple of weeks.

Space clearing was a success - the garage is now organised after sorting through all the boxes of stuff left over from the move to this house just over a year ago. Likewise all cupboards and wardrobes are tidy and clutter free.

There's something very satisfying about giving away things that are no longer needed. Especially knowing that the items are still good and will be of use to someone else - a kind of random benevolence that has me wondering if I'll see that shirt on someone passing in the street some time.

I enjoy that someone somewhere has a need for those things and I play my part in it. Also, the simple act of giving away things of value but no further use seems to affirm just how abundant life really is.

We have so much. We're very lucky people.

Sorting through belongings showed me just how much of my money has gone into acquiring things I really believed I needed but didn't. And it had me questioning my methods of assigning value to material things. Truly an enriching experience - with unexpected results.

I was shocked when about four days into my 'clearing space for a miracle' I received the news that my baby's grand mother had passed away.

Pam had been fighting Cancer for three years and it had finally won.

It might not have been such a shock if I'd known that she was that close to leaving - I'd been spending time with her regularly so that she could enjoy her grand baby in her last days on Earth and had hoped that we'd have a few more visits before saying goodbye.

We'll miss her even though she drove me nuts with her swearing and grabbing my forearm each time she wanted to get a point across. She couldn't change a nappy for peanuts and she liked to feed my kids junk but she was a good sweet woman who loved people, and was loved in return. Seeing her one and only granddaughter grow up was important to her. I hope she's still watching, where ever she is now.

The funeral was a remarkable event - hundreds of people were bussed in from the country town where Pam and her husband have been living for the past twenty years. I've never seen anything like it. Everything was handled with style and humour and it was an honour to be there as part of the family.

The day before the funeral I received more news - my father is very ill and is in such dire straits financially that the family trust is now forced to sell the house that my children and I live in.

This phone call came on my way back from the local police station where I'd reported threats against me from a confused individual who I didn't know existed until six months ago - someone who imagines I've done something to come between her and the man she believed was her 'boyfriend' (the father of my baby).

I'm unsure as to why all of this has happened now - particularly as it's my intention to keep drama 'on the page' through writing and drawing. I live my life peacefully and soulfully, caring for my home, family and the small things I can do for the world. This is my Work.

All I can think of is that my Personal Legend (as Paulo Coelho calls it) is being challenged - and I'm called upon to draw on inner resources rather than become a victim to it all.

So I have.

Its strange but truly wonderful to find that I'm not afraid, that I'm not weak and that I can do this no matter how events beyond my control may seem daunting and overwhelming.

And if I can so can anyone. So can you.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post which articulates the head-space that I have been aspiring to these past two weeks. I have been muddling through, time for me to step it up somewhat.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grace and tenacity that you bring to your life and your writing is a true inspiration.

    Every time we go away on holiday and we're in a small cabin I look around and think 'I could live here'. It makes me put all my 'stuff' into perspective ... makes me muse on what I really need and what's just hanging around because it 'just is.' The same can be said in regards to feeling, opinnions, attitudes ... what hangs on just because it is habit and we think that we need it.

    My space clearing has been clearing internal space, deciding what energy is worth the investment and what energy isn't ... and I can see changes in the dynamics with my mother and my sister already. I can't change them, I can't change the situation, but I can change the way in which I interact with - and that's just it, interact rather than react. And in doing that it feels like a warm spring day rather than a gnashing electrical storm.

    I'm glad to have you back blogging. Paul and I were musing on creative inspiration last night and I knew that you would have a really intersting take on it.

    And I've started up my own writing prompt (though I know you've been having a hiatus on fiction) The link here here

    ReplyDelete
  3. My commiserations on Pams passage. I am sure she has ascended to where she deserves to be.

    Hugs and kisses on the other matter.s.

    (~Wulfy)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read my blog - please feel free to comment or ask questions and I'll do my best to respond.